Mexico is the place to be during spring break. But, is spring break in Cancun still safe? With over 100,000 American teens and young adults traveling to Mexico for spring break, this is the question that is on many parent's minds. If you are one of these parents, you need to know the facts to keep your kids safe.
Facts about Cancun
Watching the nightly news and seeing what goes on in other countries is enough to keep anyone from traveling. Before you decide to stay home and keep your children under lock and key for the rest of their lives, you need to take a couple of things into consideration.
* Keep in mind that while TV news shows tend to be reliable, they also are in the business of attracting viewers. One way of doing this is to sensationalize certain stories and often paint a picture that is more grim than what is actually taking place.
* Violence has escalated in Mexico, but it is mainly in the towns along the Mexico and United States border.
* Tourist towns, like Cancun, have not seen a rise in violence.
* Tourism is one of Mexico's main sources of revenue. They have made every effort to keep their resort towns clean and crime free.
* Accidents and even deaths are reported every year during spring break; however, the cause is due to carelessness on the part of the people involved -- not criminal or drug related violence.
Tips for a Safe Spring Break in Cancun
* Stay in areas designated specifically for tourists
* Use the "Buddy System"
* Stay in well-lit areas
* Don't leave with any new "friends" that you meet
* Don't flash your money or credit cards in public
* Don't give strangers your name
* Don't let strangers know where you are staying, your room number, or phone number
* Be aware of your surroundings at all times
Knowing the facts about Cancun and talking with your teens or young adults about safety can put your mind at ease. Discussing each of the above tips with your child before they leave on their trip can will not only make you, as the parent, feel better but will help ensure that their spring break in Cancun will be a safe one.